Thursday, December 02, 2004

What is the point of this stuff?

Very aversive, bored, "normal" this AM. Felt, what the hell is the point of this stuff. Thought maybe that's actually progress - less desire for "Enlightenment." But also a lot of anger and irritability at lousy breakfast, etc.

If passed. Lots of doubt, passed. I deliberately ignored it and didn't do anything, except relax and nap.

Now, some "answers":

I do this stuff to be more alive, in the most basic way -- showing up. Sometimes when I show up, I get a tranquility and quiet that naturally - without putting anything in - radiates holiness. Other times, it's just quiet and I can put in the holy stuff and it deeply resonates. And sometimes, there isn't a holy, special flavor - it's just being present. Oh, and other times, I get to see my own stuff very clearly - desire, aversion, confusion - and how it makes me unhappy/ blocks me even from getting present in the first place.

I think I believe that Enlightenment is knowing the truth about life, the universe, and everything. That means it's an experiential knowing.

I do find a sadness when the sacredness is absent.

Remember, your God - not theirs (i.e., not the dogmatic god). YHVH - Presence.

Sharon: It doesn't matter what the object is - it's how you relate to it.
And balance. Sometimes too far back, sometimes too far forward.

I need to accept and stop judging my writing and thinking, e.g. Balance between indulgence and self-mortification!

So, I'm still pretty "blah." Content sometimes, discontented sometimes - but no fireworks. Responses to this:

- There were fireworks just a couple of days ago, so - perspective.
- I've deliberately muted my practice, focusing more on mundane each-step and less on wonder. Also: taking the precepts.
- Some part of me doesn't want a deep samadhi state somehow, and I think is blocking it.
- Another part really misses the wow, the delight.
- Another part is very sad, because it suspects the delight was just a delight-in. Enjoying salad, or enjoying praise of God. Then again, both are real, right, so what's the harm of inclining the mind in that way? Buddhist s cultivate metta and compassion - it, too, is a deliberate "putting-in" of ingredients. The only piece this threatens is the "compassion is natural" piece. "Being loves." Tricky. I guess the love is there but you still have to emphasize it, cultivate it. Same with the sense of sacred, i.e., the Godification of Being. It is Being - how we relate, right? God isn't about beliefs about the world. It's about love. That is an inherent quality that needs watering, and I have deliberately not watered it to see what happens. Well, for two more days anyway - definitely for Chanukah, but maybe starting Shabbat, I will re-water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home