Thursday, November 25, 2004

Gratitude and generosity

Kamala on gratitude and generosity.

Rumi: "Giving thanks for the abundance is actually sweeter than the abundance."

Buddha: Gratitude a feature of the "best people"

Why is gratitude conducive to wisdom?
1. It says "this moment is enough"
2. Absence of greed - Non-clinging is possible
3. Diminishment of selfishness.

(I would add - the mindstate of gratitude itself brings one to more presence, which brings more gratitude, which brings more presence.)

I sure tell myself a lot of negative things about not being generous. It's so hard to tell what's accurate -- whether this voice is (too) judgmental and cruel, or whether the other stuff is self-justifying and defensive. How to tell? Does it not matter? Should I just note this coming up and give myself more affirming messages? Or do I need to take a "good, hard look."?

I am energetically generous -- teaching, etc. What is the role of ego there? Maybe I don't do enough mindfulness in taking joy when I give? Also, I do give 5% every year in money. I guess it's more the little things. I really do feel sad about this.
I don't believe this idea, but sometimes I imagine the whole practice is for the wrong reason - knowledge. So I can know. As opposed to liberation, totally giving up the desire to know.

Do acts of generosity with spirit of letting go.

It's as if, good food I'm allowed to enjoy as a pleasure of the self, but giving a shabbos meal or donation I'm supposed to have some purely altruistic feeling. So, that's backwards. Why not allow the joy in giving to be felt?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home